ENERGY BALLS! – This recipe is rich, chocolatey and super healthy!
Emi’s Healthy Balls
No matter how committed you are to your healthy diet or whatever your eating plan of choice is, sometimes, you just can’t shake a craving for a sweet treat. Our lovely friend Emily Christou can relate. She loves being around kids but she also loves living the healthy life, but doesn’t deny having a big sweet tooth. It’s why she wrote her new recipe for treats that taste like dessert, but are loaded with protein, not sugar.
Plus, it’s loaded with dark chocolate which is good for you—seriously! Not only does it boost serotonin levels, but it’s rich in antioxidant-laden polyphenols—AKA flavonoids—that help lower blood pressure.
What you need:
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 6 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 20 grams oats
- 40 grams smacks
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp cranberries
- 3 Brazilian nuts
- 3 chocolate almond nuts
- 15 grams dark chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp flour (It can be either: whole-wheat, white, Kumar or whichever you prefer)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
Follow the steps below:
1. Roughly chop the pumpkin seeds, chocolate, almonds, cranberries and 3 brazilian nuts.
2. Melt the peanut butter and pure maple syrup in a non-sticky frying pan to medium-low heat. Once melted turn off the heat and stir it well. Then add all the chopped ingredients plus the oats and the smacks.
3. After mixing all the ingredients, add the flour, milk and baking powder. Mix well until it has a moist mixture.
4. Now that the mixture has become quite rigid it is time to turn it into small balls. Use your hands to roll the mixture in your palms and form small balls (4cmx4cm).
5. Add a baking sheet on a cooking tray and then place the balls on it so they are ready to be heated in the oven.
6. Add the cooking tray in the oven at 170 C for about 10 minutes.
7. After 10 minutes, take them out of the oven and leave them outside (room temperature) to cool down for about 20 minutes. Then put them in the fridge.
8. Before serving you need to melt the dark chocolate. You can melt the dark chocolate in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes. Take the dark chocolate and cut it into small pieces. Then pour all the small pieces in a bowl and heat them up in the microwave up to 800W for 2-3 minutes.
9. Once the chocolate is melted, dip half of the ball into the melted chocolate.
10. Place them on baking paper and then put them back in the fridge again so the chocolate can cool down.
11.Leave them in the fridge until they become rigid.
VOILA! – Now you get to enjoy & share them with your friends!